Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Irresistible Poetry Doubles next Monday

Monday 23 November Poetry Doubles (the last one this year)
with Tom Pow and Liz Niven

A taster to help you step outside in the murk of November and make your way to the Duncan Room, Easterbrook Hall at 7pm.

Here's Liz Niven - from Picasso's Timeshare (Burning Whins)

Picasso said,
of his own poetry,
Painted in words, with lines taut as harpstrings.

Mair lik a bugle, it seems, ma shout
no findin the harpstring's voice.

Mair, a jiggin fiddle cries
Aye an hoochaye ower

islands, bens, lochs, or



the soun o silence,
oan an empty raised beach.


And this is Tom Pow - from Ex-Laundry Girl, 1943 (Dear Alice)

If ever I'd the chance to choose my place
I worked the drying green. I eased off

my boots, let my feet grow sweetly cold
on the grass. We laid out the sheets

till they sat on the air like ruffled snow.
I smelled the sharp spoor of joy


a child leaves across a vacant field -
and wept a little for my loss.


There. We're in for a treat! Hope to see you next Monday. Tickets £7/£5 from DGAA 01387 253383, from the Midsteeple, or on the door.